Seth G Derman, MD, Reproductive Medicine Specialist
Our medical director, Dr. Derman, has been helping couples in the greater Princeton/Trenton area of New Jersey grow their families for nearly two decades. Dr. Derman was selected as Castle-Connolly top doctor and listed a top physician in Reproductive Endocrinology in Inside Jersey Magazine, several years running. He was one of the first fellowship-trained, board certified Reproductive Endocrinologists to focus their practice in Mercer County. He also was the leader of the team which established the first and only IVF laboratory in the Mercer County, and is the only reproductive medicine specialist performing DaVinci robotic surgery at UMCPP.
Dr. Derman has performed scientific research, published articles, authored textbook chapters, assisted in the training of medical students and residents, and lectured to colleagues on a number of topics in reproductive medicine. He was an early pioneer is bring accurate infertility information to the internet, authoring multiple incarnations of the Infertility Info Center which he first published online back in 1996. The doctor has appeared nationally on ABC's World News Tonight and featured locally in the Trenton Times, the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Trentonian, Comcast Newsmakers and NJN Public Radio. As a staff member at the University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro, Dr. Derman has been a frequent contributor to the Health Matters column at the Princeton Packet on topics including infertility, recurrent miscarriage, IVF, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and endometriosis. His interests include female and male infertility, in vitro fertilization, polycystic ovarian syndrome and management of mullerian abnormalities. In his spare time, he enjoys travel, photography and the outdoors.
Rutgers University, BA in Biology
University of Pittsburgh, MD
St Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center/Columbia University, Obstetrics and Gynecology
University of Maryand School of Medicine, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Certified Mohel, Brit Milah Board of Reform Judaism
- University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro (active)
- Capital Health System at Hopewell and Regional Medical Center
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at Hamilton
- Abington Memorial Hosptial
Clinical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School of Rutgers University
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Castle Connolly top doctor
- Inside Jersey Magazine- top doctor in Reproductive Endocrinology
- Elected Administrative Chief Resident by St Lukes-Roosevelt faculty
- Award for highest CREOG inservice exam (St Lukes-Roosevelt)
- Top Reproductive Endocrinologist in NJ- Health Tap
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Society of Reproductive Surgeons
- Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology
- Philadelphia Area Reproductive Endocrine Society
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Mercer County Medical Society
- Medical Society of New Jersey
PUBLICATIONS AND BOOK CHAPTERS:
- Derman SG, Rehnstrom JA, Neuwirth RS. The long term effectiveness of hysteroscopic treatment of menorrhagia and leiomyomas. Obstet Gynecol 77(4):791-4. 1991.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Fact Sheet: Female Infertility: Patient education brochure for the Endocrine Society. 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Adverse effects of fertility drugs. Drug Safety 11:408-21. 1994.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Ovulation Induction. Comprehensive Therapy 21(10). 1995.
- Derman SG, Peralta L. Postcoital contraception: present and future options. J Adol Health 16:6-11. 1995.
- Derman SG, McClamrock HD, Adashi EY. Regulation of the pituitary response to gonadotropin-releasing hormone, In: Gynecology and Obstetrics: Droegemueller and Sciarra JJ, eds., Volume 5. Chapter 8. 1996.
- Derman SG. Current trends in infertility diagnosis and treatment. Mercer Medicine. August 1999.
- Derman SG, Kol S, Ben-Shlomo I,Adashi EY and Payne DW. Transforming growth factor-beta-1 is an inhibitor of interleukin-1 actions in the rat ovary. J Endocrinol 160(3):415-23. 1999.
- Derman SG, Seifer DS. IVF in the older patient, Current Womens Health Reports. 2003.
- Derman SG. Gonadotropin-Induced Ovulation. In: Encyclopedia of Endocrinology and Endocrine Diseases, Martini L, Ed. Academic Press. 2004.
- Derman SG. Endometriosis. In: Encyclopedia of Endocrinology and Endocrine Diseases, Martini L, Ed. Academic Press. 2004.
- Derman SG, Seifer DS. Evaluating Infertility. In: Requisite Series in Obstetrics and Gynecology: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Alvaro R, Schlaff W, Eds. Elsevier Inc. 2007.
- Derman SG, Hoover L, Ahmed H. Oolema integrity has a negative impact on IVF outcomes and is cycle specific. Fertil Steril 91(s1) p. 408. 2008.
- Derman SG, McClamrock HD and Adashi EY. "The Laparoscopically-Assisted AbdominalTubal Reanastamosis (LAATR): A Hybrid Procedure". Poster presentation at the Conjoint Annual Meeting of the American Fertility Society and the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society, Montreal, Quebec, October, 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY and McClamrock HD. "Failure to Achieve Pregnancy by Superovulation with Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) and the Prognosis for Success
with More Advanced Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART)". Oral Presentation at the VIIIth World Congress on In Vitro Fertilization and Alternate Assisted Reproduction. Kyoto, Japan, September, 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY and McClamrock HD. "Failure to Down-Regulate in Response to
Leuprolide Acetate (LA) in Patients with Hyperprolactinemia Preparing for Assisted Reproductive Technologies". Oral Presentation at the VIIIth World Congress on In Vitro Fertilization and Alternate Assisted Reproduction, Kyoto, Japan, September, 1993.
- Derman SG, Kol S, Ben-Shlomo I, Adashi EY and Payne DW. “Transforming growth factor-
β1: an inhibitor of interleukin-1β in the rat ovary.” Poster presentation at the 77th annual meeting of the Endocrine Society, Washington, DC, June 1995.
- Rohan RM, Ben-Shlomo I, Kol S, Ginter H, Derman S and Adashi EY. “Interleukin-1 influences expression of the insulin-like growth factor axis in primary cultures of rat ovarian cells” Poster presentation at the 77th annual meeting of the Endocrine Society, Washington, DC, June 1995.
- Ahmed H, Russell H, Bocca S, Ahmed S and Derman S. "Endometrial biopsy prior to IVF stimulation improves embryo implantation rates." Poster presentation at the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Baltimore, MD, October, 2015.
- Derman SG. Medical specialty brings new hope to infertile couples. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 1996.
- Derman SG. When dealing with recurrent miscarriage, don’t give up hope. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2001.
- Derman SG. Dispelling some widespread myths about infertility. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2010.
- Derman SG. IVF: a step-by-step procedure. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2010.
- Derman SG. Consider the options in managing endometriosis. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2011.